Subject: Re: What should Sun do?
From: Ben Tilly <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:05:13 -0800

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 20:02:31 +0100, Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-01 at 23:06 -0500, Keith Bostic wrote:
> > > From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>

> > > I don't know either, but here is a good approximation: 100% of open
> > > source BSD went into Sun, 0% of Sun went into open source.
> >
> > Peter is correct; Sun made major contributions to BSD, but
> > they made them around 1985, and the code was folded into
> > the standard release at that time.  Other companies (for
> > example, HP and CCI) also contributed.
>
> Thanks for the information, I couldn't find traces of those
> but I assume you're right (if you have references...).
>
> For the sake of the argument, 1985 is also the date
> of the GNU manifesto, just before lots of software
> was just free, and it's only after that the free vs proprietary
> debate really started, so post 1985 contribution
> would be more relevant to counter my initial point
> (which is that Open Office dwarf any other Sun contribution
> in whatever metric you choose).

But Sun did have other open source contributions well
after that.  For instance just today I randomly got
reminded that from 1994 to 1997 when Scriptics spun
off from Sun, Sun was the major sponsor of TCL

I don't know what other projects they also supported,
but I'm highly doubtful that TCL was an isolated case.

Cheers,
Ben