Subject: Re: CIO Magazine on Open Source
From: DV Henkel-Wallace <gumby@henkel-wallace.org>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 23:27:30 -0800

On 06 Mar 2005, at 23:05, A. Pagaltzis wrote:

> Is that so surprising? Here in Germany, the largest computer mag
> sports 3-4 fullpage ads from Microsoft, all while the articles
> are singing the praises of Linux and the editorial stuff have
> built and continue to support half a dozen specialized Linux
> distributions for various purposes. And that's just ads running
> in a Linux-friendly technie mag; the less technical it gets, the
> more pronounced the schizophrenia becomes.

I find that Info World is the only trade rag that really takes FOSS
seriously.  But they have a broader readership base _and_ advertising
base than CIO magazine.

Forbes (which isn't a trade rag in the usual sense) laughs at FOSS but
at the same time takes it seriously.

SAGE and the like aren't trade rags at all in the sense I mean, and
they of course take it quite seriously.