Subject: Re: FSB: How to Raise money for Free Software...?
From: "Joel N. Weber II" <devnull@gnu.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 03:50:18 -0500 (EST)

   (a) All volunteers get an immediate and perpetual source code license to
   the software and all derivatives.

This is a huge loophole.  All I have to do is say I'm going to be a volunteer,
and I immediately get the source license.  You would get tons of people
who say they want to help who don't help at all.  This would also have
a huge administrative cost.  When someone volunteers to help with e-scape,
I just tell them they can ftp the daily snapshot.

The FSF requires legal papers for anything larger than ten lines to be
included in an official release.  There has been one person who has sent
me enough code for me to ask for legal papers.  (And he didn't feel
comfortable getting a disclaimer from his employer, so a few weeks later
I rewrote his possibly larger than ten line change myself.)  But e-scape
has been in the gnu task list for a long time, and i bet i've had at least
20 people send mail volunteering to help.

There are a handful of people who have reported bugs.

What do you mean by "source code license"?  I assume you mean that people
get the source, but they are not allowed to share it.

   (b) The software is available in source code or binary form (at any time
   during  or after development) to the general public for a fixed stated
   price from the full-time developer.

   (c) The software's licensing will revert to the GNU GPL when a specific
   gross revenue is generated (or, lacking the revenue, on a specific
   deadline date [like 2 years from inception]).

I would personally not be willing to volunteer work on something that
wouldn't become free software for 2 years.  I might be inclined to agree to
3 months or 6 months.  But maybe I would decide to not help because I don't
like the licensing.  That could be counterproductive.