Subject: Re: Software as a public service
From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 01:29:23 +0200

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 16:10 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> In any case, "software" is a scarce resource, ie, more of it would be
> somehow useful to someone somewhere.

Interesting definition, what is "not scarce" then?

> Otherwise you would not have a
> job, right?  The correct statement is that "any given program, once
> written, is no longer scarce, under the assumptions of perfect
> information about its nature and availability, and zero communication
> and storage costs."

"Perfect" and "zero" don't exist in the real world, so indeed your
definition followed strictly is the empty set. However I think most
economists would say that cost of distributing and storing most
digitalized works are amongst the lowest of any measurable cost, so a
good practical "zero".

Laurent