Subject: Re: MySQL Patch Mechanism (was RE: Computer Survey on perceived advantages of Open Source)
From: Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 02:24:02 +0200

The only way to do that is to have a pool "A" of developpers that
do not see the patches at all from public mailing lists or web archives
and a pool "B" of developpers that see the patches. Developpers
from B can then communicate to A only: engineered testcase showing the
bug, high level specification of the feature to be implemented, pointing
at specific point in the source and say there's a stupid bug there
please find and fix it :).

Anything else is just not doing clean room and for significant patches,
a violation of the copyright of the patch authors. If there's no
significant evidence that two groups exist within MySQL AB and
that one of them has significantly restricted access to internal
and external information, that doesn't look good.

I'm not a lawyer, so if you try to do "clean room" stuff, ask a real
lawyer.

Laurent

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 16:30 -0600, Anderson, Kelly wrote:
> Could you please elaborate on this. How do they do it? Do they put up a
> Chinese wall and white room reimplement it?
>
> If it's a bug fix, haven't they benefited from the bug being reported?
> Isn't what they are doing a "derivative work" of the bug report itself?
>
> If it's too complicated to explain here, could you point to a web page
> or something that describes their process? I'm really interested in what
> the heck they are doing...
>
> -Kelly

message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking
protective action against such code. Sender is not liable for any loss or damage arising
from this message.

> The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.