Subject: RE: Charging the Charger
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 12:50:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 18 May 2005, Anderson, Kelly wrote:
> It's not where the money comes from, but IF the money comes. I think
> it's harder to prove to the market place that you can support a piece of
> software when you weren't the one who wrote it. It's just human nature
> to doubt such a claim.

There is a marketing challenge but it's not insurmountable, and
probably counterbalanced by the premise that any support by someone
striving to be an expert will be better than trying to support internally.
It is a premise that requires some sort of track record - having
principals of the company with commit privs on the project helps, being
able to point to past work (even pre-startup) works too.  It's also,
perversely, a situation where the more vendors there are, the easier the
marketing job is, because it looks "real".  E.g., each Plone support
company is better off with 5 competitors than with zero.

> I'm not down on open source or it's support, I just want to brainstorm
> on how to overcome such natural objections and obstacles. That is what
> this list is for is it not? :-)

Definitely!  And skepticism is useful.  These are all just guesses
anyways; my sense is that model and "marketecture" matters less than
charisma and track record.

 	Brian