Subject: Re: industry-specific desktops?
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian@collab.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 13:46:20 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 11:23:19AM -0700, Brian Behlendorf (brian@collab.net) wrote:
>>
>> Anyone know of any company offering Linux desktops customized for
>> particular industries/commercial tasks?  A reporter called asking about
>> such a thing, and I had through I'd heard of this in the medical office
>> space, but it might have been some other industry.  Point-of-sale systems
>> kind of count, I guess...
>
> Lots of Knoppix varieties, including medicine, bioinformatics, security,
> and the like.  Not "desktop" in the traditional sense, though they can
> certainly be installed to hard drive rather than run live.

Very nice - though I'm specifically interested in *companies* behind those
distributions, willing to come in and provide support for the desktop
software and machines themselves, possibly in combination with other
industry-specific software on a back-end server somewhere and other
support services.  Who show up at those industry-specific conferences or
trade rags to pitch their wares, etc.  DIY solutions work for those
willing to be responsible for correcting problems... most doctors offices,
for example, barely want to pay for an IT person, let alone a developer.

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Don Marti wrote:
> HP sells spiffy Linux workstations targeted at Digital
> Content Creation (DCC), oil and gas, and EDA:
>
> http://www.hp.com/workstations/pws/linux/faq.html

Great!  Closer.  I'll sic the reporter on that link.

 	Brian