Subject: Re: Mozilla For Profit?
From: Seth Gordon <sethg@ropine.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 09:04:24 -0400

J. David Boyd wrote:

> You can definitely create a corp without stockholders.
>
> I know several people who have started their own corps, and actually, I work
> for a company that is a corp, and we have no stockholders.
>
> I think having stockholders is what makes one a 'public' corporation, rather
> than private.

IANAL, but a little Googling turned up this FAQ
(http://www.mycorporation.com/faq.htm#sameper), which states that in
most states, a single natural person can be the sole shareholder,
director, president, and secretary of a corporation.

A "public" corporation, as I understand it, is one that the general
public may buy and sell shares in.  My employer is not public, but it
has stockholders--the various venture-capital firms that have invested
in it.