Subject: Re: software patents in the wild
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 12:55:16 +0200

I do not share your analysis.

For one thing, if the us market is important, any foreign company can
apply for patents in the US.

Another point is that the US market is only 250 M people ... not quite
the whole world, and this is for goods that are non-rival.

If Linux were to dominate the OS market in the rest of the world, what
would the USA do ?  Keep paying taxes to MS ?

> And it could be worse than that.  If what you mean by "not having
> patents" is withdrawing from the Paris Convention/TRIPs, it's quite

of course not ... TRIPS does not require software patents

As for brain drain, it does not work as well as it used to.

Bernard

--
             Le brevet logiciel menace votre entreprise
               Software patents threaten your company