Subject: Re: OT: canonical names for Open Source projects?
From: Michael Bernstein <webmaven@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 17:28:48 -0700

On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 17:04 -0700, Rich Morin wrote:
> At 3:57 PM -0700 9/30/05, Michael Bernstein wrote:
> >No need for a central registry. Just use the canonical URLs for the
> >project home pages as a unique identifier.
>
> I thought of this, but project home pages change...

That's OK, the URL is being used as a URI, it isn't meant to be
dereferenced to access the page, it's just a unique ID. So you keep the
URI even if the actual homepage URL changes.

The only thing you're after here is preventing a namespace collision so
you can disambiguate projects.

If you want to give yourself some long-term insurance, only use URLs
from project repositories/registries (or namespaces) that have a policy
of non-reuse even if the project moves elsewhere.

- Michael Bernstein