Subject: Re: appliance-based business models
From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 23:49:05 -0700

At 1:14 AM -0400 10/24/05, Joe Corneli wrote:
>I'm still not sure what the idea with "appliance" versus "application"
>is here.  Do you propose to sell Mac Minis with customized Darwin
>installations (or something along these lines) or do you propose to
>ship a program that runs on any "BSD-style" operating system?

My plan is to start with a current Mac OS X installation, then add
assorted software to build up the kind of "workbench" that I think
is needed for this kind of work.  Although the hardware sale could
be sold or simply "loaned" to the customer, this is a pretty small
issue: the cost of a Mac mini is small, compared to the cost of
turning it into (and maintaining it as) an up-to-date system.

>You might be interested in my work ...

I'll be sure to give it a look.

-r
--