Subject: Re: appliance-based business models
From: Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 12:21:59 -0700

At 2:41 PM -0400 10/24/05, Joe Corneli wrote:
>I don't think you can fail to make some money with this "appliance"
>business, but in my opinion the real _service_ would be consulting
>work to assemble the "workbench".  Whether it is shipped in a fancy
>box or not seems much less relevant.  There might be some end-users
>who would want that, but many others who just want a point-click
>install onto their own box.

Two phrases above are problematic:

   "point-click install" - Because this is "just" a workbench (and not
   a turn-key documentation solution), the install wouldn't do much
   for a naive user.  It would, however, provide a handy set of tools
   for programmers who want a good starting point.

   "their own box" - If I can specify that (a) the box runs (a given
   release of) Mac OS X and (b) that the customer won't "tweak" the
   configuration, this might be OK.  Otherwise, I'd be faced with the
   problem of maintaining a bevy of vaguely-similar configurations.

-r
--
email: rdm@cfcl.com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com        - Canta Forda Computer Laboratory