Subject: Re: appliance-based business models
From: "David Kaufman" <david@gigawatt.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:23:11 -0400

Hi Laurent,

Laurent GUERBY <laurent@guerby.net> wrote:
> David Kaufman wrote:
>> [...] Maybe I can't find successful free software appliance
>> businesses because they always get bought by the big players in the
>> markets that they threaten to disrupt :-)
>
> Best site to find them is http://linuxdevices.com/
>
> Two recent examples:
> Open Neuros http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS7231044963.html
> Black Dog   http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS8562564746.html
>
> Also in the recent hardware news I've seen site reporting that linksys
> will move it's famous WRT54G router from Linux to a proprietary OS but
> will open a WRT54GL line of router with Linux in it (speculations
> are that the proprietary version will have scaled down hardware).

Thanks, yes.  But I gues I have to narrow my definition of an "free
software appliance business model" as one where the free software is the
core of the product's functionality, rather than the hardware.

Linuxdevices.com is certainly offers a wealth of *hardware* products
that employ open source software.  But I guess I'm more interested in
selling interesting software that runs on more-or-less standard hardware
than the other way around :-)

Astaro http://www.astaro.com/ certainly seems to fit my (self-styled and
ever narrowing) definition of a free software appliance provider quite
nicely though.  Rather than free software *developers*, the management
bios seem to indicate more of a background in ISP businesses.  A natural
progression there, I suppose.

-dave