Subject: Re: Valuation of Open Source companies
From: Jesse Vincent <jesse@bestpractical.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 18:11:40 -0500

On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 02:37:56PM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 02, 2005 at 01:31:05PM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
>
> > But if you need money to start a company, there is no easier way to
> > get it.  (I was a co-founder of a VC-backed company, now defunct.)
>
> Again no offense meant here, but I have to turn your assertion around.
> Is there some *harder* way to get startup capital than going to VCs?
> If so, what is that?

Building a company from scratch with only a personal savings account and
no prior business experience, maybe?  I suppose doing it without the
savings account would be harder.

That being said, I don't at all regret starting a company and _not_
taking capital. It certainly wasn't easy. But I'm having lots of fun.

Jesse Vincent,
Best Practical Solutions