Subject: Re: Big news for 2006
From: Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 14:43:25 -1000

On Dec 23, 2005, at 10:19 PM, Chris DiBona wrote:
On 12/22/05, Jim Thompson <jim@netgate.com> wrote:

> GPLv3 will be a lot of the FOSS news in 2006.
>
> http://www.fsf.org/news/gplv3launch
> http://gplv3.fsf.org
>
> I think this is a lot more important than what the VCs do or don't do.
>

> On Dec 22, 2005, at 10:47 AM, mikko puhakka wrote:
>

>> Hello all, what do you predict to be the big news for Free/Open
>> source software for 2006?
>>
>> My view is that we will see 2-4 big exits/IPOs, that will wake up
>> the rest of the ecosystem resulting e.g. in one or more Open Source
>> software dedicated VC fund.
>>
>> mikko
>> http://pukkis.blogspot.com/
>>

> Yeah, I'm with Jim on this one. It'll dominate the news come late next
> year. And can I say this: Why am I going to boston in january? That's
> nuts... Can't someone please tell richard that boston is a cold place?

Ya know, its too bad rms couldn't have scheduled the gpl conf for Dec
16, 2005, some 232
years after the original Boston Tea Party.   Perhaps we can have
GPLv3 released on Dec 16, 2006,
since 233 is prime!

If you're bothered by cold, come to TPOSSCON in early Jan.  http://
www.tposscon.com/

its all blue skies and 80F here today, and the North Shore is going
off now and all next week (20-25' faces).

Jim