Subject: Re: Cygnus and proprietary software
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 10:25:25 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Michael Stutz wrote:
> My feeling on the matter is that the time spent working on a free "word
> processor" would be better spent creating tutorials, templates, macros,
> fonts and other additions to the TeX system, anything to make its operation
> easier for the user.

I think that the most useful addition, that would make the operation of
TeX easiest for the user, would be a graphical display of the document,
incrementally updated as the user made modifications to it.  This would
require some significant restructuring of TeX, but it would have enormous
payoffs to current and (especially!) potential TeX users.

I understand that Lotus did something like this when they built Ami Pro,
since Ami Pro uses TeX to typeset its equations.

The integration of linguistic interfaces with direct-manipulation
interfaces is a hard problem.

Kragen