Subject: Re: FSBs, mechanized documentation, and (meta-)data licenses
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 21:24:55 +0900

    Rich> Clearly, there has to be some group of people who have
    Rich> access to the bug database.  In some efforts, this includes
    Rich> the world.

Right.  But I believe that many bug databases sanitize email addresses
and stuff like that.  Allowing access to the raw data for whatever the
third party has in mind is effectively an invitation to spam.

The point is that when you expose Bugzilla to the world, you've picked
a rather restricted interface.  The kinds of data-mining you've
describing need a lot more flexibility, so either you need a really
well-written data license and lawyers with big sharp teeth (and who
can afford them?), or you need to write something even harder to write
than Bugzilla was.  I think it's worth it, but it won't come cheap.

    Rich> It may also be possible to publish sanitized reports that
    Rich> only contain statistical information, though I can't think
    Rich> of any such reports that would be of much interest to folks
    Rich> other than developers and "managers"

Academics.  That's of tenuous and very long range benefit (if any), of
course.