Subject: Re: OpenPageRank?!?
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:51:20 -0800

begin Chris DiBona quotation of Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 10:22:41AM -0800:

> Anyone who thinks google ranks solely by counting links isn't really thinking.
> I am still surprised when I read posts as if our ranking work began and ended
> in 1998.

I agree with Chris for two reasons.  (1) view source
on a Google search results page some time.  There's
all kinds of JavaScript on there -- they're collecting
clickthrough data as well as just link data.

(2) The Google search logs are the legal equivalent
of a million-gallon tank of anhydrous ammonia.
There's no reason to keep them around unless they have
really, really compelling business value to offset
the privacy risks of a "spill".  "Yes, Senator,
we did keep the log entry about your search for
["Cleveland Steamer" +"Washington DC"] last year.
But we had a really good reason, and it is..."

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/