Subject: Re: OpenPageRank?!?
From: Joe Corneli <jcorneli@planetmath.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:43:56 -0500 (EST)

   > Anyone who thinks google ranks solely by counting links isn't really thinking.
   > I am still surprised when I read posts as if our ranking work began and ended
   > in 1998.

   I agree with Chris for two reasons.  (1) view source
   on a Google search results page some time.  There's
   all kinds of JavaScript on there -- they're collecting
   clickthrough data as well as just link data.

   (2) The Google search logs are the legal equivalent
   of a million-gallon tank of anhydrous ammonia.

Just for the record I didn't mean to insinuate that Google
just use links when I said 'straight-up linking'.   I was
comparing "links" to a broader "semantic" paradigm for
ordering information.  For all I know, Google uses everything
that is out there currently.  My point was that as the
platforms that are in use become increasingly sophisticated,
there will be a semantic explosion along the lines of
the genetic Cambrian one.