Subject: Re: mechanised documentation and my business model solution
From: "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:55:37 -0800

 Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:55:37 -0800
On 3/25/06, Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com> wrote:
> At 12:54 AM +0900 3/26/06, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> > I think that existing wikis are fundamentally flawed as
> > a documentation vehicle, ...
>
> Many existing wikis are clearly unsuitable for this use.
> For example, any wiki that isn't based on a DBMS is going
> to be hard-pressed to handle versioning, etc.  However, I
> think (hope :-) that useful exceptions can be found/built.
[...]

Do you really believe that?  If so, then how do you explain the
existence of useful source control systems out there which are not
based on a DBMS?

Anyways about the whole discussion, I'm amazed that nobody has yet
linked to http://www.cabochon.com/~stevey/blog-rants/nonesuch-beast.html
(or said what it says).  Namely it is easy to say, "I want a
documentation simple that makes it easy to do everything that needs to
be done."  It is impossible to build one.  It is possible to come up
with some use cases, and build a documentation system that is better
for those than existing ones.  But any solution is going to have
serious drawbacks that someone is not going to like much.

But go ahead and try.  When you're done, I'd suggest trying to solve
the halting problem...

Cheers,
Ben