Subject: RHADL & GNOME
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:48:50 -0500 (EST)

I don't know if anyone is still reading this list since the flamewars about
Cygnus, but just in case, here goes ... :)

RedHat has just set up `Red Hat Advanced Development Laboratories' to work
on Linux usability.  (They used the word `usability'.  This is a good sign.)
They're working on the GNOME project, a sort of fully-GPL'd KDE clone which
includes OLEish/OpenDocish features.  They seem to have made amazing progress
already.

GNOME lives at http://www.linux.org.mx/gnome/; RHADL lives at
http://www.labs.redhat.com/.

Also, in connection with this, there seem to be three fairly
full-featured CORBA implementations that are freely available now.  I'd
heard of ILU, from Xerox PARC, a long time ago -- it's at
<ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html>, and I think it actually
predates CORBA.  It's under a very loose license.  But I'd never heard of Mico
<http://diamant-atm.vsb.cs.uni-frankfurt.de/~mico/> or OmniOrb2
<http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/omniORB.html>, both of which are GPLed.

Kragen