Subject: Re: DRM-incompatible licenses
From: Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com>
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 23:21:23 +0200
Sun, 02 Apr 2006 23:21:23 +0200
El dom, 02-04-2006 a las 16:01 -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler escribió:
> Santiago Gala <sgala@hisitech.com> writes:
>
> > [...]  While at that, I seem to recall that there was a theorem
> > proving that it was impossible for a piece of software to decide if
> > it was running under emulation or under "true iron", [...]
>
> But how is the technology for this type of DRM different from the
> useful and potentially welcome security provided by code signing from
> the BIOS-kernel-modules-TCB onward?  If they are two sides of the same
> coin, it will be difficult to say whether DRM is per se evil.

It *is* evil, as it tries to dig a legal/management problem into
software. I'll consider it evil while the owner/user of the machine is
not the one deciding who are the trusted authorities/signatures.

I don't believe that any security blindly trusting a provider (be it
Microsoft, Redhat, IBM, JBoss or Sun Microsystems) is welcome.

How different is the current Microsoft Windows monopoly from one coming
from hardware manufacturing? (look at the current xbox or cellular
phones)

Regards
Santiago

--