Subject: Re: DRM-incompatible licenses
From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 16:02:30 +0200

* Pedro de Medeiros <pedro.medeiros@gmail.com>, le 03-04-06, a écrit:
> On 4/3/06, Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang@inria.fr> wrote:
> >
> >   If GPL v3 forbids DRM, many people, for a variety of reasons, will
> > stick to GPL v2, which will of course be incompatible.  Nice fork,
> > thanks.
> >
> > And, wherever DRMs are compulsory, GPL code will be excluded ... thus
> > weakening free software.
>

> Why would it be compulsory? Compulsory as in "sony wants it?" I
> thought we have come to agree that DRM is bad to begin with.

how bad ?

worse than bombs ?

funny that no one will answer that question

> Why would it be compulsory?

if the law says that you have to have DRM to access music ...
what then

You decide that music will only be available on Windows and Macs ?

> > If people do want freer access to cultural works, don't you think it
> > is also up to them to fight for it.
>

> More than often, people don't fully grasp what they are losing, so
> they don't fight against it. How many people installed sony's root kit
> because they don't understand what is being asked of them? Wouldn't
> you help a friend to get rid of malicious software (for instance, a
> worm or virus) because he didn't know his computer was infected by it?
>

> > And by weakening the presence of GPL code, and free software, we may
> > also weaken a lot of other sources of freedom.
>

> I think free software already has momentum enough to be in all niches
> of software,

happy dreams

> since it is also in the strategic position of being a
> operating system. And with government (at least in my country)
> boosting its use, I think it is just a matter of time.

well ...  I know your government is doing a lot ... but still Brazil
will not do anything all by itself.

cordialement

bernard

--
             Le brevet logiciel menace votre entreprise
               Software patents threaten your company