Subject: Re: DRM-incompatible licenses
From: Seth Johnson <seth.johnson@RealMeasures.dyndns.org>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 13:50:40 -0400

Keep that paper in your pocket.  The exclusive rights under
copyright are "subject to" fair use, not the other way around.

The purpose of copyright is specifically for me to make use of
the information published in the work freely:

> http://www.bitlaw.com/source/cases/copyright/feist.html

The mere fact that a work is copyrighted does not mean that every
element of the work may be protected. Originality remains the
sine qua non of copyright; accordingly, copyright protection may
extend only to those components of a work that are original to
the author. Patterson & Joyce 800-802; Ginsburg, Creation and
Commercial Value: Copyright Protection of Works of Information,
90 Colum.L.Rev. 1865, 1868, and n. 12 (1990) (hereinafter
Ginsburg). Thus, if the compilation author clothes facts with an
original collocation of words, he or she may be able to claim a
copyright in this written expression. Others may copy the
underlying facts from the publication, but not the precise words
used to present them.

The primary objective of copyright is not to reward the labor of
authors,
but "[t]o promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts." Art.
I, s 8, cl.
8. Accord, Twentieth Century Music Corp. v. Aiken, 422 U.S. 151,
156, 95
S.Ct. 2040, 2044, 45 L.Ed.2d 84 (1975). To this end, copyright
assures
authors the right to their original expression, but encourages
others to
build freely upon the ideas and information conveyed by a work.
Harper &
Row, supra, 471 U.S., at 556-557, 105 S.Ct., at 2228- 2229. This
principle,
known as the idea/expression or fact/expression dichotomy,
applies to all
works of authorship.

[. . .] "sweat of the brow" courts [. . .] handed out proprietary
interests
in facts and declared that authors are absolutely precluded from
saving time
and effort by relying upon the facts contained in prior works. In
truth,
"[i]t is just such wasted effort that the proscription against
the copyright
of ideas and facts ... [is] designed to prevent." Rosemont
Enterprises, Inc.
v. Random House, Inc., 366 F.2d 303, 310 (CA2 1966), cert. denied
385 U.S.
1009, 87 S.Ct. 714, 17 L.Ed.2d 546 (1967).

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

>     Seth> In short, almost every word you write here is the inverse of
>     Seth> what I said.  There are the inverse of what is acceptable in
>     Seth> a free society, I might add.
>
> You might add it, but you'd be wrong.  I have in my pocket a signed
> declaration that you're right, and I'm wrong.  You have no right to
> copy that, much as you would like to.  Nor are you free to do so.
> That piece of paper is my property.  Perhaps you would call a society
> in which you can override my right "free", but I would be horrified.
>
> Copyright is "simply" an artificial extension of that property right,
> which facilitates contracting over the release of copies of expressive
> works to the public.
>
> Copyright has many obnoxious effects, too, but almost all of the
> effects, obnoxious and otherwise, of copyright can be duplicated via
> secrecy, contract, and the laws prohibiting theft---at much, much
> higher cost.
>
>     Seth> Copyright is an "exception" to the freedom to use published
>     Seth> information.
>
> No.  Copyright is a specific legal right to control certain uses of
> copies of an expressive work.
>
> It has no relevance to your freedom to use the information embodied in
> that work, unless you lack the originality to express it differently.
> You may even *independently* produce the same expression of the
> information.  (Granted, independent production is often hard to prove,
> but in principle you have every right to do so.)
>
>     Seth> I need no "positive" right to use (and copy) the factual
>     Seth> elements of a published copyrighted work.
>
> Absolutely true.  But nobody's talking about factual elements.  Why
> did you bring them up?

Because it goes right to the question of whether I need a
positive right to use published information.

>     Seth> I hope I am understanding what you mean by "positive" and
>     Seth> "negative" rights.
>
> A positive right is the right to do something.  It is sufficient in
> itself to give permission to do that act.

Based on your elision of the rest of what I said, I take that I
am correct: you believe I have to be positively given a right, to
exercise it.

Seth

--

RIAA is the RISK!  Our NET is P2P!