Subject: Re: DRM-incompatible licenses
From: "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:16:49 -0800

 Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:16:49 -0800
On 4/3/06, Randy Kramer <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 03 April 2006 01:12 pm, Pedro de Medeiros wrote:
> > They might use the same methods for protection, but as far as I am
> > concerned, "trusted computing" works for the benefit of the computer
> > user while DRM works for the benefit of the content distributors. It
> > might be just a question of semantics, but still an important
> > difference.
>
> Hmm, I heard the term "trusted computing" long before I heard the term DRM--as
> I dug into what "people" meant by "trusted computing" it was to benefit the
> content distributors.
>
> Is there a general consensus on the term "trusted computing" being for the
> benefit of the computer user?

Yes.  There is.

The consensus is that it is not.

As http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html points out, the name
"trusted" comes from the US Department of Defence definition that a
"trusted system or component" is "one which can break the security
policy".  There is a significant difference between "trusted" and
"trustworthy".  (Which Microsoft promptly blurred by using the phrase
"trustworth computing".  But they've always been somewhat slippery
with language.)

Cheers,
Ben