Subject: Re: business case for mechanized documentation
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:02:14 +0900

    Kelly> If there were a business case for Sun, Novell, etc. to
    Kelly> make, I'm sure it's been discussed internally. [...]  They
    Kelly> will figure out if there is a profit to be made.

Actually, it's reasonably likely that it hasn't and they won't.

My point is simply that at this stage, we don't know what the business
model is going to be, whereas the companies have already bought in to
specific business models that they will use to evaluate such ideas.

In fact, that's what you say yourself!

    Kelly> So why not suggest this to someone at Sun or Novell? If
    Kelly> it's a good idea, they'll jump on board.

Especially if somebody else takes the business risk.

It's true that the fact that it hasn't been done yet means there is
substantial risk.  But that was true ex ante of all the successes, as
well as all the failures.  :-)  Don't let it stop you!