Subject: Re: business case for mechanized documentation
From: "Forrest J. Cavalier III" <mibsoft@mibsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:56:14 -0400

Thomas Lord wrote:

> I don't think the level of abstraction at which I make my cases is the
> problem.
>
> The service of providing executive-level decision making for the larger
> firms we are talking about is not traded on a free market.   The population
> of the cramped pseudo-market in which it is traded is ... uh ... let's
> just say
> generally confused.

Define "free".

Companies are happy to pay the salaries of effective executives, and give them
fat bonuses too.  Companies prefer the loyalty they get in exchange for that
salary.  Most employees like the job security too.

If more of those employee executives jumped ship or got "released"/fired more
often that would create a market that would make it easier for independent
free-lancers to get into those positions....but what's non-free about the
arrangement now?

Looking at it another way, if you are capable of doing "executive-level
decision making" and doing it anywhere close to paying customers, then you
go into business yourself.  Software is the epitomy of packaging of executive
value, second only to piles of actual money, of course.

It's almost a truism that geeks don't like to get close to customer's
pocketbooks, no matter how talented they are with code.  The exceptions
I know about tend to cultivate their sense of customer value, and end up
on the money side of business, with a nice fat salary or a company of
their own (or maybe even a monopoly.  :-)) with better than average R&D
and technology.