Subject: Re: Comments in code
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 02:26:10 +0900

    Kelly> Bill Caputo really answered it best when he said, "The key
    Kelly> point here though (at least in terms of the smart-alecky

What smart-alecky?  Here's a guy who must drink a gallon of Kool-Aid a
day....

    Kelly> response you received to your idea) is that only by asking
    Kelly> the question "what's better than a comment here?" would one
    Kelly> even *begin* to explore the alternatives listed in this
    Kelly> thread.

He's wrong, about me, at least.

My biggest problem in coding is getting distracted by elegance and
possibilities for refactoring.  I've done a fair amount of study of
number theory and foundations of mathematics (broad and shallow, for
fun), and I'll guarantee you that if I get started on PrimeNumbers the
result will be a PrimeNumbers class with spotty coverage and poor
algorithmic quality, and the original project will go nowhere.

IMO for this particular case, practicality beats purity.  Write the
comment and move along.

    Kelly> [more Bill] That, IMHO is precisely why XP (and more
    Kelly> specifically TDD) is catching on:

I suspect that they're just plain more fun than writing good comments.
It will be interesting to see if they're more productive.