Subject: Re: [may be junkmail -pobox] Re: Free Netscape Source Code
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:51:31 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, Michael Stutz wrote:
> >From <http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/9813.html>:
>
> "We're saying we can make that model a huge commercial success," said Dave
> Bottoms, a Netscape spokesperson. "This is one of the only ways of scale to
> compete against Microsoft," he said.

OK, I just talked to Dave Galvan from Netscape; if I understand correctly,
he's in charge of something called the "Netscape Everywhere Browser
Distribution Program".  Key points from our talk:

- They haven't hammered out the details of this stuff yet, so this stuff is
not the final word.
- They're planning to let people distribute modified versions of the code
and use the code in other things.
- They're planning to prohibit people from selling Communicator (or, presumably,
derived products) for more than the cost of the media, as in the AFPL.

He's also just sent me an email which tells a somewhat different story, which
I will forward to the list.

Kragen