Subject: Re: JBoss aquired by Red Hat
From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@airs.com>
Date: 15 Apr 2006 16:43:14 -0700

L Jean Camp <ljean@ljean.com> writes:

> Doesn't Jboss open the opportunity for RH to compete with Web Sphere?

Down the road, sure.  Immediately, probably not.  WebSphere is a very
complex system.  I would think the first target would be something
more like BEA WebLogic.

> If that is the case, does this mean that the natural strategic
> alignment between IBM and Red Hat is undermined?

Personally, I don't think there is a natural strategic alignment
between IBM and Red Hat.  IBM doesn't want to be in the GNU/Linux
distribution business.  They support Red Hat to be in that business,
and they used to support S.U.S.E as well (I don't know whether they
support Novell).  I don't think there is a long term alignment beyond
that.

IBM clearly sees the benefits from a strong free software
infrastructure, and they invest accordingly.  I think they support Red
Hat as part of that investment, not because of any other business
alignment.

Also I have to note that Red Hat has a fairly strong history of buying
companies and killing them off (most likely accidentally).  It will be
interesting to see what happens with this one.

Ian