Subject: Re: Netscape *Really* Under GPL?
From: "Leonard H. Tower Jr." <tower@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:04:14 -0500 (EST)

   Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:42:43 -0500 (EST)
   From: Craig Burley <burley@gnu.org>

   Skimming the announcement, I'd suggest caution here -- I don't
   believe it actually said that the license would be the GPL, just
   that they were building on the familiarity the 'net community has
   with the GPL.

   That might mean the license for 5.0 will be "a la GPL" but with
   modifications, i.e. their own license.

           tq vm, (burley)

I concur with Craig.  Until we see the "license" i won't believe that
they are doing GPLed equivalent distribution.  (By "license" I mean
the usage notice that comes with copyright notice, and a release is
completely checked to make sure that such notices exist on all files,
and that any variants don't restrict the rights of the entire
distribution.)

I also noticed that the copy of the press release mailed to me had
words to the effect "free licensing on the net".  This indicates to
me, that they may NOT let others distributed their source code by
other means, e.g. tape or CD-ROM.  This would NOT be GPL at all, and
would not be free software by rms' or the FSF's standards.

thanx -len

PS: I note that I am no longer affiliated with rms, the FSF or the GNU
Project, and am not speaking for any of them.