Subject: Re: Larry Ellison on FSBs
From: Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:08:50 -0700

begin Carl Alexander quotation of Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 10:46:34PM -0400:

> > Unless you're Jeff Bezos, your business relationship
> > with your OS provider is probably more complex than
> > your business relationship with your shipping company.
>
> Don, did you mean to say "is probably _no_ more complex" here?

No, I think that the set of services that we call
"shipping" is, for most customers, much simpler
to select, buy, and get help with than the set of
services we call "an operating system".

(Ask the mailroom manager how long it would take to
switch from FedEx to UPS, then ask the IS manager how
long it would take to switch from Red Hat to Novell.)

So if FedEx's value as a going concern doesn't depend
on whether they lease airplanes or whether they use
contract truck drivers, then Red Hat has value as
a going concern independent of whether they have a
proprietary interest in the software they package
and maintain.

--
Don Marti
http://zgp.org/~dmarti/