Subject: Re: Larry Ellison on FSBs
From: "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:10:06 -0700

 Mon, 24 Apr 2006 16:10:06 -0700
On 4/24/06, Anderson, Kelly <KAnderson@dentrix.com> wrote:
[...]
> > I think LE's point is that you let the core team develop the
> > code, then you "take it" and customize it for your users (and
> > provide support).  There's a division of labor that makes
> > sense.  If LE felt he needed deep changes in the Apache core
> > code, he could try to hire some core developers, but I don't
> > think he has that need.
>
> I guess it's not surprising that LE would make statements that would
> make an open source person cringe. He is, after all, one of the more
> successful closed source people around. I suppose he would cringe at
> some open source statements, particularly about patents, IP and such.
> But it is rather bold to state that he doesn't need to buy it because
> it's free to him already. I think it demonstrates either bravado or
> ignorance...
[...]

Since nobody has said it yet, I will.

Pick up and read The Innovator's Dilemma and The Innovator's Solution.
 I guarantee you that people at Oracle have done so and have noticed
the same thing that I have.  Oracle has reached that economic mirage
where a wave of disruptive innovation has taken away their need to
market to their worst customers, and that wave is moving on to their
core business.

Between PostGres and MySql, Oracle's current business model is toast
within a decade or so, and there isn't much they can do about that
reality.  Given the level of lock-in that people have with databases,
they'll take a good while dying.  They may find new businesses to be
in.  But their current business is doomed.

I'd be shocked if Larry's pronouncements on open source were not at
least partly flavoured by this reality.

Cheers,
Ben