Subject: Re: Larry Ellison on FSBs
From: "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:48:31 -0700

 Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:48:31 -0700
On 4/24/06, Chris Maeda <cmaeda@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> One could argue that Oracle's application business is a more-than-adequate
> solution to this problem.  Besides their organically grown applications
> business, the following enterprise software companies are now owned by
> Oracle: Siebel, Vantive, Scopus, Peoplesoft, JD Edwards.

Solution to which problem?  Making sure that a company named Oracle
continues to thrive?  Certainly.  Keeping Oracle from having to shrink
substantially?  I strongly doubt it.

> It's certainly quaint how everyone here is saying that Oracle will be
> trampled beneath the hobnailed birkenstock of open source.  But people have
> been saying that Oracle's core business has been doomed for at least a
> decade. And the database market is so slow moving and conservative that
> Oracle has plenty of time and money to move into new businesses.
[...]

Um, a decade ago the phrase "open source" had not yet been coined.
And it was far from obvious that open source databases were going to
become important.

But I grant that people have been saying this for several years now.
And things move in such slow motion that they will say it for several
years more before it becomes painfully obvious in Oracle's revenue
figures.  Furthermore new businesses or not, it still hurts Oracle to
see their cash cow evaporate.

Cheers,
Ben