Subject: Re: Larry Ellison on FSBs
From: "Ben Tilly" <btilly@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:21:00 -0700

 Tue, 25 Apr 2006 09:21:00 -0700
On 4/25/06, Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net> wrote:
> Ben Tilly wrote:
> >> Companies like Oracle don't drink milk, they eat steak.  Unexpected
> >> visitors?  Kill the fatted calf and have your barbeque a week early.
> >
> > Strangely enough this kind of confidence has not helped any other
> > company that I know of which has faced disruptive innovation.
> You should look into IBM.

Oddly enough Clayton Christensen used IBM as an example.  They are
notable in two ways.  The first was in failing to get into the micro
market.  The second is in successfully getting into many other markets
since.  He used their success in the PC business as an example of how
to handle disruptive innovation.  Their strategy was to create a
spinoff business that (very important) did NOT get much funding, and
was located at a different facility than their existing businesses.

Cheers,
Ben