Subject: Re: JBoss aquired by Red Hat
From: Thomas Lord <>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 11:18:06 -0700

Anderson, Kelly wrote:
>>  Are you claiming
>> that there is non-free commercial software to which bad guys
>> do not have access?
> As a matter of fact, there is. For example, the missile guidance systems
> for US ICBMs, for example, is not readily available to the "bad guys"
> (unless you count our Good Friends(TM) the Chinese). This is
> "commercial" software because it was written by government contractors
> who are commercial enterprises.
> The software for the Predator, for the hellfire missle system, for
> military communications, encryption techniques, etc. etc.
Right.  And this is an area in which RMS is in a poor position to give
leadership because of his other political stances.

Software freedoms end where public safety considerations override them.

(Oh, and, please watch the China bashing.   It's not that your exactly
*wrong* or that
you don't in general have a more balanced view or even meant to bash per
It's just a hot button that doesn't translate well and appearances of
"China Threat
Theory" in public discourse in the US tend to retard the progress of
It works both ways, of course.  They do need to get over freaking out
about the
generally healthy western habit of "operational paranoia" (as contrasted
"rabid paranoia").)