Subject: Re: JBoss aquired by Red Hat
From: Alan Hudson <giles@yumetech.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:10:13 -0700

Anderson, Kelly wrote:
>>The code is extremely likely to be open, like all code that
>>is kept within an organization so the authors and the users
>>are part of the same institution.
>

> Sometimes I would guess that code is shared across military contractors,
> although I have no experience or examples. I do know that theoretically,
> software written by the government, or a contractor, is public domain. I
> would guess that national secrets laws trump this law as a matter of
> common sense and law. (Interesting how seldom the two collide).

Yes, code is shared between contractors in an open closed environment.
We have participated in a few projects where that was the case.  The US
military is trying to learn how to utilize open source development
methodologies without having everyone get a hold of the results.

I think part of this is motivated by having multiple venders capable of
working on a project.  Instead of absolute vender lock-in you get a
small pool of vender lock-in, with the chance of introducing other
trusted sources.

Most of our experience has been real open source development though.
Only the data is classified.  It's a much preferable way to operate.
But we skirt the research community fairly closely, no experience with
really sensitive stuff.

--
Alan Hudson

President Yumetech, Inc.                               www.yumetech.com