Subject: Re: JBoss aquired by Red Hat
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 22:38:12 -0700

While I'll reply to both of Simo's comments I would like to generally
encourage people to throttle back on this thread and slow down its
rate.  It is an FSB topic (imo), but there is also an easy failure mode
where we spiral down into confusion.    I'm not saying to censor
yourself -- just to be slow about posting because questions that occur
in the heat of the moment often evaporate quickly, all by themselves.

That said:

simo wrote:
> You own the copyright of those parts,[that you wrote] so you can distribute that part
of
> the code under an NDA without any problem. The work you give to your
> customer is wholly under the GPL, you just agree with him to not
> distribute your own code to any third party. You can still distribute to
> anyone the original work, your customer can distribute the work you gave
> him _only_ under the GPL to anyone. It's only you that agreed to not
> distribute the work.

You may not distribute your changes to a GPLed work to a third party
except under the GPL which includes a requirement that you cause
even your changes to be licensed to all third parties under the GPL.

> The GPL is about protecting the party that receives the code, not the
> party that distributes it (from this POV at least).

That is oversimplified but, even so... one issue with distribution under NDA
is that you are failing (in multiple ways) to protect party's that
receive the
code.

-t