Subject: Re: JBoss aquired by Red Hat
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:39:37 +0900

>>>>> "simo" == simo  <s@ssimo.org> writes:

    simo> But there are also many problems in contracts v. licenses.
    simo> For Joe the common FS programmer it is much easier to stay
    simo> away from contract law.

Problems, yes, but I don't believe any lawyer would tell you that it's
easier.  Larry Rosen, for one, clearly advocates using a contract---
just use your favorite license, but get licensees to sign it.  How is
that "harder" than a bare license?  You can still use copyright law
for enforcement if you think that's easier, too.

Sure, managing the paperwork can be somewhat annoying, but that's a
different issue from what I think you're getting at.  And surely if we
(as a community) decided that's the way to go, several hackers would
come up with some software to implement it efficiently and open source
it, and it would quickly become a non-issue.  I recommend we hire Tom
Lord to write it. :-)

    simo> You either seek the release of the source or stop the
    simo> distribution of infringing binaries.

Not me.  If I use a license that requires release of source, I want
the source released.  Wasn't that clear from my post?  That was my #1
reason for preferring a contractual license.