Subject: Re: [may be junkmail -pobox] Re: Free Netscape and the Press ...
From: kragen@pobox.com (Kragen)
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:38:08 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Michael Stutz wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, David Fickes wrote:
> > What I am proposing is a service to journalists that would
> > function as a resource site for those backgrounders and
> > . . .
>
> Ok, here's a question: how can a site that is designed to promote freed
> software make money?

It doesn't have to make money.  I could run a shoestring site like this
with fifteen dollars a month and enough people to keep the pages
up-to-date.  With a hundred dollars a month, it would be *easy* to run
a site with its own domain name on a shared server; with two or three
hundred dollars a month, it would be *easy* to run a site co-located
with some little T1 or T3 ISP.

So I could run such a site for a year for $3600, max.  I could run it
for ten years for $36,000, which is approximately what it would cost me
to buy a nice luxury car or a small house.

It doesn't make sense to require that an expenditure of $36,000 make
money. When was the last time soeone asked you how you were going to
make money with your car?

Now, keep in mind that these are rather high cost estimates; it would
probably not cost anywhere near this much, because probably, one of
RedHat, Crynwr, Cygnus, FSF, SSC, or O'Reilly would be willing to give
it a home.  In fact, O'Reilly is already doing something somewhat like
this at www.perl.com.

You probably *could* make money with it, though, if it was really
important.  But we're not talking about an up-front ten-thousand-dollar
investment that requires justification on the basis of return.

Kragen