Subject: RE: JBoss aquired by Red Hat
From: "Anderson, Kelly" <KAnderson@dentrix.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 11:14:04 -0600

 Fri, 5 May 2006 11:14:04 -0600
> Trade Secrets do not have licensing fees. But patents are
> viral in this regard, because one person's trade secret can
> be patented by someone else if there is independent
> innovation.

This is an interesting case. The government's interest in issuing
patents is getting more information out into the hands of the public,
eventually into the public domain as those rights expire. So, the
government grants the patent monopoly right based on the discloser of
the information. I don't know about the interaction of "prior art" and
trade secrets, but there are some interesting questions in that realm,
to be sure.

-Kelly

E-Mail messages may contain viruses, worms, or other malicious code. By reading the
message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking
protective action against such code. Sender is not liable for any loss or damage arising
from this message.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is
intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized.