Subject: Re: patents
From: simo <s@ssimo.org>
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 16:38:33 -0400

On Sat, 2006-05-06 at 22:16 +0200, Santiago Gala wrote:

> >     Taran> What would happen if copyrights and patents could only be
> >     Taran> owned by flesh and blood people instead of legal entities?
> >
> > Nothing much, except that more law students would go into IP law.
> >

> (Parts of) Europe used to be like this until relatively recently, at
> least for "Author Rights" (not sure about patents). In Spain I remember
> that in our company they gave a talk about the new concepts after we
> joined the European Union, in 1986, and one of the new features of this
> law they called "copyright", was that authorship rights could be hold by
> companies, not just by authors and their heirs. Germany, France, etc.,
> switched to the "anglosaxon" copyright concepts a bit earlier, I think,
> but not that much.

No, there is a difference.
In the USA there are practically no author rights, there is only
copyright, and every right is transferable.

In Europe many countries have both author rights and copyright and
copyright is transferable, author rights are not. So you can transfer to
another person the right to sell your work and make profit. But you
cannot sell the right to change the name of the author for a work.

Simo.