Subject: Re: The term "intellectual property" considered useful
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 22:13:02 +0900

    Ben> I'm sorry, but you've just demonstrated RMS's point in
    Ben> spades.  In trying to find a specific facts that are true
    Ben> across areas of intellectual property, you've demonstrated
    Ben> how little they have to do with each other.

Not at all.  I posted a generalization that collected a number of
concepts I think are useful to think about the issues we discuss.  I
did not try to find "specific facts"; that's your jones.

The fact that you can poke holes in it shows that it is a useful
generalization (in Kuhn's sense, ie, falsifiable), and furthermore the
fact that you corrected me was practically useful to me.  I did have a
mistaken concept of the authority for trademarks, it probably did
derive from an inappropriate specialization of generalized
intellectual property (though I rather doubt that the term
"intellectual property" had anything to do with it!)

And guess what?  If I didn't use the term "intellectual property", it
probably would have been years before I realized it, because it seems
unlikely that the issue of the Constitutional authority for trademark
would come up except in comparison with or as part of a collective
entity including patent and copyright.

You may think that makes me look dumb; I think it makes me better
informed.  Thank you!  And thank heaven for generalizations.

    Ben> While I'll avoid bringing the term "intellectual property"
    Ben> up, I'm no more going to fight its existence than I do the
    Ben> misuse of the word "hacker".

Oh.  I can deal with that.  You advocate free software without using
the term "intellectual property", I advocate it using the term
"intellectual property," everybody (except the RIAA, which will lose
in the end) is happy.

Done!

    Ben> Don't forget: he only existed in fiction.

That's often an advantage when you're dealing with dreams.

                    Serendipity is the only sure thing.