Subject: Re: patents
From: simo <s@ssimo.org>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 11:29:37 -0400

On Sun, 2006-05-07 at 22:41 +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> In free software advocacy we are almost entirely concerned with the
> economic rights.  Of course most of us support the authors' rights,
> but the basic software freedoms are not impeded by any authors' right
> I've ever heard of.

Well in many European countries, author rights permits an author to stop
distribution of his work (of which he transferred out economic rights
for example) if changed in a way that goes against his beliefs or may
harm his own image.

So, in some rare circumstances, author rights may be in contrast with
pure software freedom as defined by the FSF in that an author may deny
redistribution of a derived work. I am not sure how and to which extent
you can apply these author rights to software, they have been
constructed with a classical authorship work in mind (music, text,
video), but I think a good lawyer would be able to pursue the case.

Simo.