Subject: Re: patents
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2006 16:49:49 +0900

>>>>> "simo" == simo  <s@ssimo.org> writes:

    simo> On the contrary I think it would be easier to stop a hate
    simo> group than R&D on weapons of mass destruction (in the
    simo> specific examples you give), but that's my perception I have
    simo> never payed too much attention to such cases.

The technical problem is that the hate group probably can use your
software unaltered, or claim that their changes are generally useful,
including to advocacy groups you support.  The changes themselves
would have to be against your beliefs, I think.  Maybe if they
substituted built-in swastika bitmaps for the peace symbol bitmaps
used on buttons, or something like that, you'd have a case.  But not
if they fixed a bug or made an efficiency improvement or improved
support for optional protocols, etc.

OTOH, at least in U.S. law, the government can't override your rights
without due process, and I carefully cooked the example to be
something that might be needed for WMD but useless in balancing your
checkbook, say.

I agree that it's probably no big deal.  I just think it's worth
paying (a little) attention, since several people on this list have
recently expressed the desire for such licenses.  (Maybe not for
themselves, but as something that a hypothetical person who supports
FLOSS but opposes hate or WMD might want.)