Subject: Re: The term "intellectual property" considered useful
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 16:29:25 +0900

    Lawrence> You're a software professional aching to give away your
    Lawrence> work on free and/or open source terms.  Choose your
    Lawrence> license to say exactly what you and your lawyer think it
    Lawrence> should say about your copyright, patent, trademark and
    Lawrence> trade secret grants and the conditions and reservations
    Lawrence> there from. That's all about intellectual property that
    Lawrence> you and your licensees really need to know about the
    Lawrence> work in question.

True of the licensees, but most of us on this list, besides being
licensors, also are advocates.  We need more than just a set of legal
instruments; we need a philosophy.

I for one should spend much less time blathering about philosophy,
'tis true.  Nonetheless, I think there is genuine need for it.