Subject: Re: The term "intellectual property" considered useful
From: Thomas Lord <lord@emf.net>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:58:19 -0700

David H. Lynch Jr. wrote:

>     If you honestly believe ideas can be owned, then you should be
> moving towards the elimination of patents, copyrights, .. and towards
> treating ideas exactly like all other real property.

You have been illustrating my point to RMS by consistently demonstrating
(sorry)
a misunderstanding of what "property" means.

There is no such thing as "like all other real property".   The details
*always*
matter whether we are talking about various kinds of physical possession or
intangible property.

Property is always, in the U.S., a system of specific rights constructed by
various laws.   Which laws apply depends on the particular kind of
property and variations even among types of real property make big
differences.

Of *course* "ideas" can be owned, for a suitably formalized approximation
of what an "idea" is .... the only serious question is what rights that
ownership should entail.

-t