Subject: Re: Business
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 01:19:16 +0900

    Robin> I'd shove a business card into the hands of everyone I met
    Robin> in any social situation

And if you're doing something where it would make sense, have a cool
demo disk you can hand out with the business card.

    Robin> Funny thing: You don't need to be a "good salesman" to make
    Robin> any of this work. You're selling computer nerdness, not
    Robin> sales ability.

Nonetheless, if you take a genuine interest in the potential
customers, personally, people will think of you as a good salesman.
Until you've got business coming out your ears, spend an extra five
minutes (if they'll give it to you, but no more) finding out what they
think they need, what their business problems are, etc.  If they've
already said "no", keep it social at that point ... but come back a
week later.