Subject: Re: The term "intellectual property" considered useful
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 11:23:02 +0900

    Michael> I believe estimates are 1-2 million women and children
    Michael> are sold as sex slaves every year.

I agree that that is slavery, but I should have specifically excluded
it from the kind of slavery can be abolished for economic reasons.

Those slaves are *consumed*, and as long as people (speaking *very*
loosely) have a taste for such consumption, it will never be
abolished.  :-(  The kind of slavery that can be abolished is the kind
that is a substitute for wage or salaried labor.

Aside: Don't you think it's horribly impolite to mention that kind of
slavery on a list where people regularly liken the purchase of
Microsoft Office to slavery?  :-(