Subject: Re: now "slavery and intellectual property"
From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:49:51 +0900

    Kelly> 	I wonder if the slowing of the importation of slaves
    Kelly> from Africa was due to the fact that it was illegal
    Kelly> beginning in 1808... Rather than as a side effect of any
    Kelly> economic pressure... Just a thought.

IIRC the "United States" had very little power to enforce at that
time, and I suspect that in failing to enforce, the Southern states
would cite "states' rights".

So it's plausible that the "economic pressure" partly derived from
breaking up the North-South-Africa triangle trade by making it risky
for ships engaged in such trade to visit *Northern* ports.